Busy Holiday Challenge
Busy Holiday Challenge: Holidays are upon us…
How have you been sleeping? Starting today, for two weeks, I challenge you to try one of these tips. You can change it daily. Even if you already have good sleeping habits, this can help with a better quality sleep. Poor sleeping habits can be one of the causes of disease, mental illnesses, poor productivity, lack of energy, negative emotions, etc.
1. Stick to a sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day.
2. Exercise 30 minutes a day but no later than 2-3 hours before bedtime.
3. Avoid caffeine and nicotine late in the day as it can take up to 8 hours to wear off.
4. Avoid alcoholic drinks before bed.
5. Avoid large meals and beverages late at night.
6. If possible, avoid medicines that delay or disrupt your sleep.
7. Don’t nap after 3 pm.
8. Relax before bed.
9. Take a hot bath to drop your core body temperature.
10. A dark, cool, gadget-free bedroom will help you sleep.
11. Have the right natural sunlight exposure. Get outside at least 30 minutes per day.
12. If you find yourself awake after laying in bed for more than 20 minutes get up and do a relaxing activity until you feel sleepy. The anxiety of not being able to sleep can make it harder to fall asleep.
Email email@example.com to sign-up. This is for accountability. In two weeks time, summarize what/how you made out and if this made any difference in your sleep patterns.
Summarized from NIH Medline Plus. Bethesda, MD: National Library of Medicine; summer 2012. Tips for Getting a Good Night’s sleep. Website attached below.